Thank you for a wonderful recipe 📸 Anju Verma @anjuverma.recipes.
Recipe creator's comment: "A delicious lighter version of the classic mushroom sauce made with staples you mostly have at home. Serve this versatile sauce over steaks, grilled chicken. Vegetarians can top this sauce over grilled cottage cheese/ tofu or grilled vegetables. Can also be served over rice, pasta or mashed potatoes..👩🍳"
Easy prep 🌟🌟
Sugar (non sugar) 🌟🌟🌟
Mushrooms are low in carbs and sugar and considered to have anti-diabetic properties.
There are many types of mushrooms, including the traditional button or white mushroom, shiitake, portobello, and oyster mushrooms to name a few. Despite their varying appearance and taste, they all have similar nutritional profiles, which are characterized by low sugar and fat contents.
Plus, VitaminB and the soluble fiber make difference.
- protect against decreased mental function
- dementia in older adults with vitamin B deficiencies
- have anti-diabetic properties
- slow digestion and delays the absorption of sugars
- may help to lower blood cholesterol levels
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic (4 garlic cloves)
- 2½ cups sliced button mushrooms (1 pack of 250 grams)
- 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce or 1 tsp balsamic vinegar or 1 tsp sweet tamarind chutney
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp dried thyme or oregano
- 2 tbsp light cream or grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a skillet or pan over medium flame.
- Add garlic and onions. Sauté for a minute.
- Add sliced mushrooms and stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until the mushrooms are browned and all the liquid has evaporated.
- Add butter and once it melts, sprinkle flour. Mix well and sauté for a minute stirring continuously.
- Turn the flame to low and add water, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and thyme. Whisk continuously until the sauce is thickened.
- Add light cream and mix. Cook for less than a minute or until the sauce comes to a soft boil. Switch off gas.
- Spoon this sauce over anything of your choice. Top with some more freshly ground black pepper if you wish and serve immediately.
Do you want more inspirations?
Go and check the wonderful recipes on Anju Verma's Instagram!