DIY Almond Milk
Thank you for a wonderful recipe 📸 Anju Verma @anjuverma.recipes.
Recipe creator's comment: "Homemade almond milk is naturally creamy, nutritious, free of additives, tastes fresher & is much cheaper compared to the store-bought ones.👩🍳"
Easy prep 🌟🌟🌟
Sugar (non sugar) 🌟🌟🌟
Most of the research showing the benefits of almonds on heart health and diabetes examines them in their whole form, not as almond milk.
Regarding to fat, among many different kinds of fat, almonds contain the most healthiest fat of all – monounsaturated!
Almonds and almond milk are good options for people with diabetes. Whole almond nuts, in particular, appear to provide several benefits, including superior blood sugar control, better weight management, and improved heart health. They are also a great source of magnesium.
Eating whole nuts is good for substitute of snacks, and people with diabetes may benefit from drinking almond milk. Unsweetened almond milk is lower in both carbohydrates and sugars than dairy milk.
Almonds are nutritious and versatile nuts, which a person can easily include more of in their diet. However, nuts are high in calories and fat, so it is best to avoid exceeding a daily serving of 1 oz.
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 2 cups water (for soaking)
- 4 cups water (for blending)
- ⅛ tsp or a pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp agave/maple syrup /monkfruit/stevia or 1 pitted medjool date (any soft date) or any sweetener of your choice
- Soaking almonds- Place dry almonds in a bowl. Separately boil 2 cups of water in a saucepan. Cool for a minute. Pour this hot water over almonds. Cover the bowl & keep aside. After an hour or when cooled enough, place the covered bowl in refrigerator for minimum 3 hours to upto 2 days. Almonds will plump as they absorb water (soaking almonds removes phytic acid which inhibits absorption of nutrients).
- Remove the soaked almonds from refrigerator, drain the soaking liquid.
- Peel the almonds by pressing each almond between your fingers. The skin removes easily (soaking in hot water does the trick). Put the peeled almonds in a strainer & pour FILTERED water & drain.
- Transfer drained peeled almonds to a grinder or high-speed blender. Add ½ cup water first. Pulse or blend. Add ½ cup water again & blend. Add 1 cup water and blend till smooth (add water in 2-3 batches as adding too much water at one time won't blend the almonds). Finally add salt, vanilla extract & sweetener of your choice & blend.
- Transfer to a clean dry covered glass jar/ bottle. Rinse the grinder jar with remaining water and add to milk. Mix. Store in refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Do you want more inspirations?
Go and check the wonderful recipes on Anju Verma's Instagram!