Thank you for a wonderful recipe 📸 Anju Verma @anjuverma.recipes.
Recipe creator's comment: "A super gorgeous & flavourful hummus which is loaded with proteins & vitamins! This recipe has classic hummus as base and cooked beetroot is added as variation. Spread on toasts, or enjoy it as a dip with pita crackers or veggies. A great party appetizer. 👩🍳"
Easy prep 🌟🌟
Sugar (non sugar) 🌟🌟🌟
Beets are high in vitamin C and folate. Plus, they're a great source of the antioxidant, called as alpha-lipoic acid. Some studies shows they can lower your glucose level which increases insulin sensitivity and prevent oxidative stress-induced changes in patients with diabetes. Moreover, studies on alpha-lipoic acid have also shown a decrease in symptoms of peripheral neuropathy and autonomic neuropathy in people with diabetes.
Here are 5 reasons of why the beetroots are so great for people with diabetes.
Lower blood sugar and insulin
- Lower risk of chronic disease
- Lower risk of diabetes complications
- Reduced insulin resistance (study 1, 2)
- Lower blood pressure (study 1, 2)
For Hummus Base
- ½ cup boiled chickpeas (soak slightly less than ¼ cup dry chickpeas overnight)
- 1 tbsp lightly roasted sesame seeds or 1 tbsp cheese spread
- 5 garlic flakes
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- 2-3 dashes of tabasco
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 tbsp chickpeas cooking liquid or water
- ¼ cup chopped boiled beetroot (peeled). Use a lemon size beetroot.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds or toasted sesame seeds
- Parsley, dried or fresh (optional)
- Chilli flakes
- Combine all the ingredients of hummus base and chopped beetroot in a grinder jar.
- Blend to a smooth paste. Add 1 to 2 tablespoon more water if required to make it smooth.
- Taste the hummus, add more salt or chili powder or lemon juice as per taste.
- Transfer to a shallow serving bowl. Make swirls with back of spoon.
- Drizzle olive oil.
- Sprinkle chili flakes & parsley.
- Top with sunflower seeds or toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve chilled.
Do you want more inspirations?
Go and check the wonderful recipes on Anju Verma's Instagram!